Now is the time of year that companies and those who supply retail outlets put on their trade shows, so that Journalists, Bloggers and Influencers can shout out to the world what is new and what will be available in the shops in the autumn. Oliver Bonas had their show yesterday and in the heat of July, amidst silver tinsel and warm fabrics we transported ourselves forward to the autumn and beyond to Christmas.
- Texture and pattern are still a strong trend and velvet is a fabric of choice. It is still being used on furniture and upholstery and on even lamp shades.
2. Fringing, introduced last season, is still with us in clothing, fashion accessories and again on lamp shades. We are not talking the old fashioned silky kind, but something far more rustic, looking, made from from linen, jute, string.
3. Deep colours are popular often decorated with rich patterns. The patterns are used on all surfaces including ceramics. Think midnight blue and forest green. The patterns are sometimes embroidered. More often than not, the motifs are formed of loose freehand marks, very omega workshop in inspiration.
4. Metallics continue to be popular in interior accessories. Raffia is being used to make lampshades.
5. There are some very interesting and unusual shaped glass lamp bases.
6. Animals continue to be popular as decorative motifs. Cats of all descriptions are still very Oliver Bonas popular. They are used by OB on ceramics, fabrics and even door mats.
7. Tassels are still around and are used on cushions and fashion accessories.
8. Carrying on from OB’s spring summer designs, ceramics are still a riot of pattern, shapes and colours.
9. Unusual and fun Christmas gifts. OB have come up with some original gift ideas particularly for the person that you have no idea what to buy. Like this funny note book. They also are selling reusable water bottles with neoprene covers.
10. A great range of strong fashion looks, with accessories including bags, hair slides and throws. This dress was such a hit with those attending the show that I think will be sold out as soon as it reaches the shops.